open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: But I know now there's one thing you've all overlooked: intelligence and education that hasn't been tempered by human affection isn't worth a damn. - Daniel Keyes (Flowers for Algernon)
- (Added by: Wintermute)

List of Important Short Story Collections
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

dabeef111
Posted 2020-12-17 11:52 AM (#22705)
Subject: List of Important Short Story Collections

Has WWE considered making a list of important short story collections? I think it would be most useful if there was a separate list of single author collections and one of anthologies. Maybe even another one listing every year's best collection since the 1940's.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
illegible_scribble
Posted 2021-03-21 7:30 AM (#22985 - in reply to #22705)
Subject: RE: List of Important Short Story Collections

Uber User

dabeef111 - 2020-12-17 9:52 AM
Has WWE considered making a list of important short story collections? I think it would be most useful if there was a separate list of single author collections and one of anthologies. Maybe even another one listing every year's best collection since the 1940's.

There are more than 200 of the Year's Best anthologies in the database. Most of them can be pulled with the following search:
https://www.worldswithoutend.com/searchwwe.asp?st=year+best

and a couple dozen more here:
https://www.worldswithoutend.com/searchwwe.asp?st=world+best

There are thousands of collections and anthologies in the database (there are more than 550 anthologies and almost 700 collections just in the last 10 years). So we would need a curated list created by someone who has the credentials for the list to be credible. Honestly, I think the reason that no such list exists is because it would just be too monumental of a job.

Administrator
Posted 2021-03-21 3:46 PM (#22986 - in reply to #22985)
Subject: RE: List of Important Short Story Collections

Admin

illegible_scribble - 2021-03-21 7:30 AM

There are thousands of collections and anthologies in the database (there are more than 550 anthologies and almost 700 collections just in the last 10 years). So we would need a curated list created by someone who has the credentials for the list to be credible. Honestly, I think the reason that no such list exists is because it would just be too monumental of a job.

I can't imagine taking on a task like that. In lieu of that we will be adding anthology and collection categories to the major awards with the 3.0 site update. Not that that is close to being done but just so you know it's on the horizon. I can report some very significant forward progress of late but I've learned my lesson on giving estimates.

lisagarrity
Posted 2023-06-25 10:27 AM (#27037 - in reply to #22705)
Subject: Re: List of Important Short Story Collections

Veteran

Is it possible that the anthology and collection categories will be added before the debut of 3.0? The short story form is a favorite of mine. Out of the 55 books that I read this year qualifying for inclusion in WWE, 11 are collections or anthologies. I have an additional 7 planned but will likely read more.
Administrator
Posted 2023-06-26 1:51 PM (#27040 - in reply to #27037)

Admin

lisagarrity - 2023-06-25 10:27 AM Is it possible that the anthology and collection categories will be added before the debut of 3.0? The short story form is a favorite of mine. Out of the 55 books that I read this year qualifying for inclusion in WWE, 11 are collections or anthologies. I have an additional 7 planned but will likely read more.

Right now my goal for the site is to just keep up with requests, the awards we've already got, and any maintenance issues that arise. Our Ubers have been busy with real life lately so we're short on hands to take on any new projects. The rest of my time is working on 3.Oh! It's a slow in coming, i know, but once it gets here we'll be able to accelerate our data updates. 

lisagarrity
Posted 2023-06-26 5:37 PM (#27041 - in reply to #22705)

Veteran

Thank you for your continued work. Hopefully, you will be spared the power losses and brown outs that Texas has been experiencing.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)