open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: And you and I have good enough minds to know how very limited and finite they really are. The naked intellect is an extraordinarily inaccurate instrument. - Madeleine L'Engle (A Wind in the Door)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Mini Challenge
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

daxxh
Posted 2022-02-18 8:33 PM (#23841 - in reply to #23839)
Subject: Re: Mini Challenge
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

I thought that I had read The Star Pit back in high school when I read a lot of Delany. Since I have it, I read it - not read again, because I don't think I ever did. It was rather a sad story. It made me want to read more Delany. Perhaps I will. Maybe The Jewels of Aptor since I havent read that yet or a reread of Babel 17.

I know I have read Aye, and Gomorrah - I read a lot of the award winning short fiction back when I was in high school. I am tempted to reread it every time I read an awful new book or short story, which happened a lot last year.

I will probably reread Aye, and Gomorrah now that I am thinking about it. And I downloaded The Exploits of Engelbrecht after reading all the comments about it.
Keep up the recommendations, Dusty!

Edited by daxxh 2022-02-18 8:39 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2022-02-19 6:46 PM (#23842 - in reply to #23630)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Hi daxxh. I am having a great time reading short SF lately. Back in my youth most books in the SF section of the library were anthologies,or fix up novels,but when I returned to the genre after several decades and joined WWEnd, I spent all my time reading Hugos and Nebulas and other novels. Now I am getting back to reading short stories,and its a blast.
Yes The Star Pit was a rather sad book,a grim reminder that we all have barriers and limits in life that we cant possibly achieve. Depressing much? lol
Glad you like my recommendations,though really they are mostly prodding your memory for things you read long ago!
Weesam
Posted 2022-04-05 3:54 AM (#23912 - in reply to #23776)
Subject: RE: Mini Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Time for a new mini challenge. This one in honour of April and new life.

The challenge, called 'Author's First Book', is to read the first book by an author, or at least the oldest dated book by the author in the database. You can read a brand new author with only one book, or the first book by a golden age author who's written a hundred books.

Whether you choose the first book by Arkady Strugatsky or Arkady Martine is up to you.

(April Challenge.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments April Challenge.jpg (43KB - 1 downloads)
Weesam
Posted 2022-05-31 2:11 AM (#23991 - in reply to #23630)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Coming up in June - The Southern Hemisphere Mini Challenge!

June is the start of winter in the Southern Hemisphere, so to support the southern brothers and sisters (including me) through the long winter months, read a book from an author from the Southern Hemisphere. Plenty of authors to choose from, so come and show them some love here in this challenge.

(JuneMini.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments JuneMini.jpg (31KB - 1 downloads)
ScoLgo
Posted 2022-12-28 10:17 AM (#26638 - in reply to #23630)
Quote Reply

Regular

What has happened to the 2022 mini challenges? I know I marked books for each of the minis as they were posted but now they all appear to be gone. Is anyone else having this issue?
Weesam
Posted 2023-01-08 8:44 PM (#26699 - in reply to #23630)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi Scott

Each mini challenge was running for a few months only, as more were coming on all the time. Then at some point in the second half of last year life got a bit insane and hectic and I never got any new ones posted.

I plan to start the mini challenges again in February, after the rush of new January challenges is over. If there is a particular theme or topic you would like to see, feel free to drop it here and I'll see what I can do.

I talked about the length of the challenges when I first started them, and decided 3 to 6 months was a good length, but I am always open for more input as I want it to be a community thing. What would you like to see? Topics? Length of challenge? Number of books? Feedback is helpful for me to set up challenges members will enjoy.
ScoLgo
Posted 2023-01-12 11:42 PM (#26723 - in reply to #26699)
Quote Reply

Regular

Weesam - 2023-01-08 6:44 PM

Hi Scott

Each mini challenge was running for a few months only, as more were coming on all the time...

...I talked about the length of the challenges when I first started them, and decided 3 to 6 months was a good length...

Hi Weesam,

I am not Scott but I think you may be replying to my inquiry...?

I guess I sort of expected all of the challenges I had signed up for to 'stick' to my personal challenges page until the end of 2022. I track my reading on another site and use tags to sort my WWE challenge reads. At the end of the year, I like to go through and make sure my tags are accurate. When the mini challenges went missing, I thought something may have gone wrong but it sounds as though the shorter running time of the mini-challenges was intentional. Not a huge deal, just not what I expected. And it's my bad for not reading the fine print.

Anyway, thank you for responding.
Weesam
Posted 2023-01-31 11:06 PM (#26795 - in reply to #23991)
Quote Reply

Uber User

First mini for 2023. Childhood Memories

Remember those books you read as a child or teen? Here's your chance to go back and revist something that got you excited about SF or Fantasy (or maybe it was your first horror). Was it The Hobbit, or The Chronicles of Narnia, or something more modern like Harry Potter?

Please note the three month run time for the mini's this year. If you want me to have them run longer, let me know.

(Childhood.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Childhood.jpg (51KB - 0 downloads)
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)