open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind. - Cervantes (Don Quixote)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

Our reads in March 2023
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2023-02-28 11:53 AM (#26847)
Subject: Our reads in March 2023

Elite Veteran

Another month,another climb up Mount TBR. What lies ahead in March?

SF/Fantasy reads :

J R R Tolkien - Lord of the Rings
Roger Zelazny - Nine Princes in Amber
Roger Zelazny - The Guns of Avalon
Roger Zelazny - Sign of the Unicorn
Roger Zelazny - The Hand of Oberon
Roger Zelazny - The Courts of Chaos
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2023-02-28 2:30 PM (#26849 - in reply to #26847)
Subject: Re: Our reads in March 2023

Extreme Veteran

This month I will be finishing the books I started in February.

Needle - Linda Nagata
The Last Wild Horses - Maja Lunde
Ender in Exile - Orson Scott Card
Fairy Tale - Stephen King

Also have
The Daughter of Dr. Moreau - Silvia Moreno Garcia
Below Zero - CJ Box
Generation Loss - Elizabeth Hand

Edited by daxxh 2023-02-28 2:32 PM
bazhsw
Posted 2023-03-01 3:01 PM (#26851 - in reply to #26847)

Regular

I'm mostly going to focus on my challenge so it's 'The Sparrow' by Mary Doria Russell and 'A Door Into Ocean' by Joan Slonczewski for me. Both are new authors and I am looking forward to both. The Slonczewski book feels 'on trend' for what I have been reading a lot of recently. I'm interspersing that with slowly working my way through the collected works of HP Lovecraft, I think his work feels very much like that old western, 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly'.

I'm also reading bits and pieces of non-fiction, I am currently reading a short book about witchcraft in Europe in the 16th century, the very real events and speculative accusations wouldn't look out of place in a fantasy or horror story. I carry on threatening to set up a challenge related to folklore, myths, folk horror, fairy tales and witchcraft but I can't seem to get the theme right in my head.
dustydigger
Posted 2023-03-04 7:58 AM (#26857 - in reply to #26851)

Elite Veteran

I am rerereading Lord of the Rings and the Chronicles of Amber books 1-5,the books narrated by Corwin,for the challenge to read doorstopper books for the Match of the Mammoths challenge on Booktube. Well,sort of. The real deal is to read 800 + page new books which have been on your TBR for ages. I did eye Neal Stephenson's Crytonomicon,but I just cant bring myself to read his books, Seveneves for an OK read,but far too long. I abandoned Anathem after 40 pages. Didnt like Snow Crash,couldnt see what people saw in it,and as for Diamond Age,it was so boring for me I literally couldnt tell you anything about it!
So I put aside Cryptonomicon and am just reading the Amber sequence as a guilty pleasure. Have galloped through Nine Princes in Amber,and then Guns of Avalon,in a matter of days,and am starting The Sign of the Unicorn at once. Ah,pure bliss. There's nothing like revisiting Amber
bazhsw
Posted 2023-03-09 2:28 PM (#26864 - in reply to #26857)

Regular

I adored Cryptonomicon when I read it and loved Snow Crash when I read that too. I would suggest that if you didn't like Snow Crash then I don't think Cryptonomicon will wow you. I enjoyed the Fellowship of the Ring when I was a youngster but found it quite over-facing so always was going to read the rest of the trilogy 'one day'. 30 years on and I don't think that day is coming
daxxh
Posted 2023-03-10 10:24 AM (#26865 - in reply to #26864)

Extreme Veteran

I really liked Cryptonomicon and recommend it to people who aren't necessarily science fiction readers. I loved Dune - read it for the first time when I was 12. It is my favorite book. Around that same time, I tried to read The Hobbit but only made it to Chapter 3. I don't know if I will ever get to The Lord of the Rings trilogy because I really didn't like The Hobbit. I loved the movies, though, so there is still a chance. Love the Amber series. I have read the first set twice and will probably read them all again at some point.

So far this month, I have read The Chronocar by Steve Bellinger, Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card (ok) and Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand. The Chronocar was good. This was the first book by Steve Bellinger that I have read and I liked it enough to look for more by him. I read Ender in Exile because I own it. It was ok. I wasn't that thrilled with Children of the Mind either. I may have liked them better had I read them when they were first published and I remembered better what happened in Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide. I almost didn't finish Generation Loss. The first part was dull and the main character is the type I do not like. It got better, so I am glad I finished it, but probably won't read any more of that series.

I am currently reading The Last Wild Horses. It is kind of a sad book but I like the horses. I just got a copy of A Pictorial Life Story of Misty which takes me back to my childhood with Misty of Chincoteague to read when the Wild Horses gets depressing. I also started The Old Drift. Interesting so far, but I am not sure why it is considered Science Fiction.
dustydigger
Posted 2023-04-01 2:39 AM (#26896 - in reply to #26865)

Elite Veteran

.Apart from the Amber books,and about two thirds of LOTR,and the first two books of C S Lewis Space trilogy,(Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra),i read nothing in the WWEnd genre lists in March. I took a break this week and rad murder mysteries for a Booktube challenge.Must get back into SF,as my basic TBR here on my WWEnd profile is around is now over 200 books! Ouch.And that is just the tip of the iceberg.
I tried repeatedly yesterday to get into this site to post the new ''What are we reading?'' thread but failed. It was a relief this morning to find it working again.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)