open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "We are bits of stellar matter that got cold by accident, bits of a star gone wrong." - Sir Arthur Eddington
- (Added by: Administrator)

Our reads in April 2023
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2023-04-01 2:47 AM (#26897)
Subject: Our reads in April 2023

Elite Veteran

Is your TBR pile tottering,dangerously swaying? Tell us what's on the reading agenda for April.
Anyone is welcome to join in or comment!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2023-04-01 3:13 AM (#26898 - in reply to #26897)
Subject: Re: Our reads in April 2023

Elite Veteran

Dusty's TBR for April
SF/Fantasy
C S Lewis - That Hideous Strength
J R R Tolkien - Lord of the Rings
Jack Vance - Book of Dreams
Larry Niven - Protector
A E Van Vogt - Slan
Lord Dunsany - King of Elfland's Daughter
John Gardner - Grendel
Seamus Heaney - Beowulf
C L Moore - Northwest of Earth
Holly Black - Tithe
Carter Dickson - Death Watch
Sophocles - Oedipus Rex
daxxh
Posted 2023-04-01 7:09 AM (#26901 - in reply to #26898)

Extreme Veteran

daxxh's April Reading

The Dreaming Void - Peter F. Hamilton
Fairy Tail - Stephen King
Otherness - David Brin
The Time Hoppers - Robert Silverberg

dustydigger
Posted 2023-04-07 2:23 PM (#26912 - in reply to #26901)

Elite Veteran

Yay! Completed my mammoth read for March of the mammoths,a bit late,but 1200 pages of densly packed ornate prose doesnt flow like some James Patterson novel. This reread of LOTR focused my attention on the fantastically described landscapes.I know people tend to see his writing as strongly influenced by Beowulf and Icelandic sagas,but all the way through I was getting other vibes,and finally it clicked,right at the end that to me the prose strongly reminded me of Malory's Morte D'Arthur. Tolkien was crafting a sort of mythology for England,so I found the Arthurian vibes more attractive than the danish. Certainly my mind pictures were much more of a much later time period that vikings.Well,that's just my take on it '
All in all a very satisfying and enjoyable reread.
daxxh
Posted 2023-04-30 7:04 PM (#26957 - in reply to #26897)

Extreme Veteran

What I read in April - mini reviews, sort of.

Fairy Tale - Stephen King. A dark fairy tale. Loved the dog. And it had a decent ending. I think this is one of SK's better books.

The Dreaming Void - Peter F. Hamilton. Excellent space opera. Have to get the second one before I forget all those characters and what they were doing.

Still Life With Crows - Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I am so glad these are in WWE now as I have started reading the series. I enjoy these. This one introduces Corrie Swanson, whom I have seen in other books (not my favorite character). Pendergast is a pretty cool character, though and I plan to keep reading this excellent series.

Needle -Linda Nagata. Third book in the series and as good as the first two. Excellent space opera.

From a Buick 8 - Stephen King. Ok. Took place in PA near where I grew up. Some things mentioned aren't really from the area. I am not really into cars and this one wasn't that scary.

Beowulf - a reread for me. I love this epic poem.

Grendel - John Gardner. Another reread. I liked this the first time I read it, but I got a lot more out of it this time. There is something to be said for reading books when you are not a sleep deprived college student. Grendel was definitely a disturbed individual with some interesting insights.

Otherness - David Brin. I thought I would like this more than I did as I love Brin's novels. I am not a big fan of most short fiction. These stories were mostly meh. Perhaps I will like the next collection that I read better.

Edited by daxxh 2023-04-30 7:24 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)