open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety." - Isaac Asimov - Foundation
- (Added by: Administrator)

Orbit
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> PublishersMessage format

francesashton
Posted 2013-05-31 1:02 PM (#5158)
Subject: Orbit

Regular

Whenever I go to a bookshop I always scan for the little orbit logo and I'll more than likely pick up an unknown book or author just because it's on that label. I've found some good stuff: Paolo Bacigalupi for instance, but also found some that I can't stand such as Jim Butcher. I figure I'm ahead on the good against the bad doing this. Is anyone out there an Orbit (or other publisher) junkie?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2013-05-31 1:44 PM (#5163 - in reply to #5158)
Subject: RE: Orbit

Admin

francesashton - 2013-05-31 1:02 PM Whenever I go to a bookshop I always scan for the little orbit logo and I'll more than likely pick up an unknown book or author just because it's on that label. I've found some good stuff: Paolo Bacigalupi for instance, but also found some that I can't stand such as Jim Butcher. I figure I'm ahead on the good against the bad doing this. Is anyone out there an Orbit (or other publisher) junkie?

I know of at least 4 Orbit junkies off hand on the site.  But not just because they publish great books.

One of thier publicists reached out to us last month and helped us get our hands on their book and author data which we just got finished adding to our database.  We had a fair number of their books to begin with but we ended up with around 200 new books and a couple dozen new authors to boot!  Including 13 new women authors which was a nice addition to our WoGF Reading Challenge and moved us closer to our goal of adding 100 new women authors this year.  This saved us a ton of time which is in short supply around here with everything else going on.

They also arranged an interview with author N. K. Jemisin (go read her books!) that we posted in the blog and sent us some books for a giveaway.  Those books are on the way to their new homes now for 2 lucky individuals.  We'll be doing some more interviews with Orbit authors in the future and give away some more books so keep an eye out for that!

I'm glad to hear that you like their books enough to start this thread and I'll tell you that all the people we've dealt with over there have been fantastic!  Super friendly and extremely helpful and very passionate about their books.  Class.  I like knowing that about a company that I'm already supporting with my money.

francesashton
Posted 2013-05-31 1:51 PM (#5164 - in reply to #5158)
Subject: Re: Orbit

Regular

Isn't that brilliant! It's great that a publisher can help out the fans in this way. As you say it saved you a load of time and they get more exposure. Lovely to see that side of the business too.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)