open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Beware of the brains you invade..." - Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton. (Burton & Swinburne in The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man by Mark Hodder)
- (Added by: Exarcheian)

Our reads in September 2024
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2024-08-31 11:08 PM (#30144)
Subject: Our reads in September 2024

Elite Veteran

That TBR pile is tottering badly,better read some of those books before they fall!.Share your reading plans with us.

Dusty's TBR for September:

Bob Shaw - Who Goes Here?
Jim Butcher - Storm Front
Dante Alighieri - Inferno
Philip Jose Farmer - Riders of the Purple Wage
Jane Austen - Mansfield Park

Very short list,this is to be a month of hospital visits etc.Also disconcertingly the forced stripping of hundreds of thousands of free reads from the Open Library site has completely disrupted my years TBR. Massive swathes of titles have gone. Vintage stuff has just gone. Without Open Library/Internet Archive I would never have completed such a satisfying selection of books on our WWEnd booklists,he books just are not in our libraries,nor available in bookshops,or are going for ridiculous prices online.

All very annoying and disappointing. My WWEnd TBR will have to be totally reworked,dozens of books will have to be removed, Some really old authors,from the 30s and 40s are still available,or at least a few of their bookd.,but books from the 70s,80s and 90s has been removed almost entirely..
Open Library are appealingthe court case,but I have little hope of good results.
Thank goodness for the Luminist archive,my other source of vintage reads. Lots of really old stuff,but almost nothing from the 70s onwards sadly
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2024-09-01 12:33 AM (#30145 - in reply to #30144)
Subject: Re: Our reads in September 2024

Extreme Veteran

September 2024 Books

Redemption Ark - Alastair Reynolds (reread)
Beloved - Toni Morrison
Mirrored Heavens - Rebecca Roanhorse
In Ascension - Martin MacInnes
Red Planet - Robert Heinlein

Also have some nonfiction to read this month. And there's another library book sale! I have been finding Dick Francis books at the library book sales in this part of the country.

Edited by daxxh 2024-09-01 12:36 AM
dustydigger
Posted 2024-09-01 4:04 AM (#30146 - in reply to #30145)
Subject: Re: Our reads in September 2024

Elite Veteran

I too am going to do a lot of rereading the Heinlein juveniles
.I have been a loyal Dick Francis fan for decades. I have paper copies of all his books save Trial Run,which was mostly set in the USSR,all about Cold War spying.The only book of his I only read once!. It was common for me to read his books as soon as they came out,rushing through the first read,then immediately rereading it to savour the characters and whatever detailed background setting there was.I just loved Francis'decent,principled,prctical and ethical heroes. Still have a soft spot and have reread several titles this year alone. I call him a white hat writer,the hero is always a decent type. The more the modern style of protagonists have become more flawed and everything is gritty and dark,the more this old lady is returning to the old stuff.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)