open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him. -- Groucho Marx
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Shopping List
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

dwalters
Posted 2008-07-14 11:26 PM (#1411)
Subject: Shopping List

WWE Developers,
I suggest having a shopping list page. I often find myself browsing a book stores, and having no Idea what to read next. I tried to login to www.worldswithoutend.com and finally gave up. The content was too rich for my Blackberry to effectively navigate.

Most book stores are hit and miss as to weather they have a specific book. Used book stores have so many you cannot cover shop. The list would help in both cases. If I had a long list I would be able to quickly find the books at the store that I think will be worth reading.

Having a dumbed down mobile ready list of books would really be nice. Here are some features, I would suggest:

- Lists should be in alphabetical order by author; list series name, and position in the series
- When I find a book on the shelf, and remember that I had read it, the ability to edit the book details.
- While showing the books in a list (i.e. Hugo winners), add a toggle to show the books siblings in a series.

Several lists that would be nice:
- All books I have not read, winning a given award, also a list of nominated for a given award.
- All books I have not read, winning any award, also a list of nominated for any award.
- My reading list
- Other peoples reading lists, maybe people's lists I have tagged to watch
- My Favorites, so I can quickly tell somone on a plane, or maybe email it as recommendations. (Including an introduction to this site.)

Any other ideas out there?

Thank you for a wonderful site.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2008-07-15 6:51 PM (#1414 - in reply to #1411)
Subject: Re: Shopping List

Admin

hey dewalters,
thanks for the feedback on the site! we're always looking for input from our members. you've got some great ideas there, most of which are already in our dev que. the major exception is that we've not had time to work on reports for cell phones as yet because the focus for now is the web site. as we build these reports we'll try to make phone ready versions as well. if we get more requests for phone apps we'll probably move them up the priority list. i still carry a paper list in my wallet... phone ready lists would be a huge help.

here are a few of the things we're working on now:

- making the current favorites lists into graphical reports like the awards listings
- a personal reading history data table for award winners read/unread, award nominees read/unread, percentage read/unread for each award where everything is clickable and leads to a graphical listing etc. with related graphs and charts
- sorting features that let you slice and dice your reading lists in a bunch of different ways
- personalized lists that you define and widgets that you can use to share/display your lists by imbedding them into your blog or web site

there are dozens more but you get the idea. of course, that's just a few things on the member features list. we've got tons more dev to do in the Resources section and the data always needs massaging. and there's always author and publisher reports too!

keep those ideas coming and we'll get to 'em as fast was we can!

- dave
htaccess
Posted 2009-12-21 3:31 PM (#1736 - in reply to #1411)

Veteran

Hi, first post.

I'll add my voice to a request for a simple list building interface. I currently do not have a fancy phone so while a phone optimised list would be good, a list designed to be printed would be even better. I currently often take a paper list with me when visiting the library/book shop. I am currently working my way through the SF Masterworks series and print out this list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Htaccess to help me choose what to read. Obviously phones are prefect for this but it will be a few years before they are ubiquitous even with sf readers
Administrator
Posted 2009-12-21 10:33 PM (#1739 - in reply to #1411)

Admin

htaccess,
A printable shopping list is an excellent idea. Not really sure why we don't have one already other than to say we've been focusing on other areas of the site. You could easily print off the current reading list but that would take a lot of ink and would have a lot more than just your list on it.

A link to a print ready version of "My Reading List" would be fairly simple to implement. Basically the entire table with the cover graphics, title and author in the grid like we've got right now but without all the site chrome surrounding it. I suppose a simplified text only version would be desirable too.

Let me see what I can work out with whargoul (he does all the coding) and get back to you. It'll be after the holidays most likely. Thanks for the suggestion!
dwalters
Posted 2010-12-15 9:45 PM (#2267 - in reply to #1411)

Hey I found my first post. Did anything ever come of the shopping list printout? I am planning a trip to Uncle Hugo's, the local Science Fiction used books store.
Administrator
Posted 2010-12-15 11:19 PM (#2268 - in reply to #2267)

Admin

dwalters - 2010-12-15 9:45 PM Hey I found my first post. Did anything ever come of the shopping list printout? I am planning a trip to Uncle Hugo's, the local Science Fiction used books store.

Sadly, no.  We had started on a print style sheet but somewhere along the way dropped the ball.  I'll bring it up with jynnantonnyx and see if he can pick that up where we left off.

I've always wanted to visit Uncle Hugo's.  I hear it's a great bookstore.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)