open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: It is over life, throughout its unfolding, that power establishes its dominion; death is power's limit, the moment that escapes it; death becomes the most secret aspect of existence, the most private. - Michel Foucault
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Book Notes & Reviews
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Welcome to Worlds Without End! -> New Features & NewsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2008-10-24 10:27 AM (#1477)
Subject: Book Notes & Reviews

Admin

Hello WWEnders!

We've just added a couple new features to the novel page that we think you'll really like:

My Notes -  This is a new field where you can enter notes or reminders about a specific book.  The notes are only for you and will only be seen by you.  There are all kinds of uses for this like tracking your loaned books.  I've got "Ron has my copy 04/15/08" in my notes for Old Man's War.  You can make notes about the story or mark who recommended it to you etc.  I'm sure you'll find other uses for it as well.  If you come up with a cool use for it let us all know.

My Review -  This a feature we've been wanting to put in for some time but were not sure how to go about it.  We had an email link for folks to send in their reviews but that was never going to be a permanent solution.  Uber User Deven Science hit us up for a review function this week and gave us some great ideas about how to implement it.

You can post your reviews now from the novel page.  Choose a title and type or paste in your review then select if you want the review to be private or public and hit submit.  You might choose private if you only get part way through your review and have to step away.  It'll be saved until you come back to finish.  If you select public your review will display on that novel page in the Reviews section.  It'll show your review title (or the first 100 characters of your review if you don't give your review a title) and your web handle.  Visitors can click the title to get a popup with your review.  The review page will also show your avatar and web handle as well as a private message link.  Clicking on the avatar or handle will take you to that Ender's My World page.

This is a real basic function right now but we've got ideas on how to improve it:

- A default list of "Reviewed Books" in My World so you can track the ones you've reviewed and others can get to them as well.  Visitors to your My World page will only see the reviews you flag as public.  You will see public and private reviews.

- A comments section on the review page so others can comment directly on your reviews.  Basically a blog feature.  You'll be able to rate reviews as well and we'll sort the display by the highest rating first.

- A list of most recent reviews on the main Books landing page so visitors can find the newest ones.

- etc....

Check it out and if you post any reviews let us know here so we can read 'em!  Thanks again to Deven for the help!

- Dave

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Deven Science
Posted 2008-11-05 12:41 PM (#1480 - in reply to #1477)
Subject: RE: Book Notes & Reviews

Uber User

Right on, I'm looking forward to writing a few. It'll be a cool feature to have your reviews show up on your My World oage, as well.
Administrator
Posted 2011-01-22 5:11 PM (#2312 - in reply to #1480)
Subject: RE: Book Notes & Reviews

Admin

Deven Science - 2008-11-05 12:41 PM Right on, I'm looking forward to writing a few. It'll be a cool feature to have your reviews show up on your My World oage, as well.

In the spirit of "better late than never." there is now a Books I've Reviewed list in the My World section.  This list shows all of your reviews in one place so folks can find them easier.  It also shows you all your private reviews so you won't lose track of the incomplete ones.  In addition, you can see the number of books in each of your lists in the header bars so you won't have to open any more blank lists to see if there is anything there.  Handy.

Many thanks to Battlestar, our newest addition to the WWEnd team, for putting that together for us.   She's come on board to help whargoul with the coding duties around here so everyone be real nice to her so she'll stay awhile.

You may have noticed some changes to the blog layout too.  Jynnantonnyx stepped up today to give us a much needed face lift - so check it out and let us know what you think.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)