open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Ignorance is a powerful armor against the truth. -- B. Herbert & K.J. Anderson (Mentats of Dune)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Novel Ratings Avatars
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Welcome to Worlds Without End! -> New Features & NewsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2008-11-19 10:12 AM (#1497)
Subject: Novel Ratings Avatars

Admin

We've just updated the novel page to display member avatars in the novel rating.  Click "+ Member Rating" to see all the members who read and/or rated the novel.  You can click on the avatars to go to that member's profile to see what other books they liked etc.

Ender's Game has gotten a lot of reads as you might expect.  Check it out.

- Dave

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Deven Science
Posted 2008-11-20 4:19 PM (#1502 - in reply to #1497)
Subject: RE: Novel Ratings Avatars

Uber User

Cool idea.
Deven Science
Posted 2009-04-02 4:21 PM (#1611 - in reply to #1497)
Subject: RE: Novel Ratings Avatars

Uber User

Very cool option.
Administrator
Posted 2009-04-02 4:51 PM (#1612 - in reply to #1497)
Subject: Re: Novel Ratings Avatars

Admin

Hey, glad you like! I'm diggin' it too tho some of those lists are getting really long. May have to change it to show the first 20 or so then link to the complete list. Going to get out of hand with 40 or 50 down the road.
Administrator
Posted 2009-10-17 1:42 PM (#1722 - in reply to #1612)
Subject: Custom Avatars

Admin

If you've looked at the novel pages, and elsewhere around the site, you've probably noticed that most WWEnders are using the default avatar instead of uploading custom images.  I'm guessing this is because they don't have an avatar handy or don't know how to make one.

If you'd like to create your own distinct avatar you can do so easily by going to myPictr.com.  There you can upload any picture from you computer and crop and re-size as needed to get a perfect avatar.  It takes only a few minutes to create one and then upload in the Control Panel from your My World page in the main menu above.

The cool thing about myPictr is that you can make multiple sizes for all the social sites you frequent.  They even have the built in dimensions for the most popular sites available to you.  WWEnd uses 120x120px as the standard.  You can go taller if you want but 120px is the max width.  Give it a try!
htaccess
Posted 2009-12-21 3:41 PM (#1737 - in reply to #1497)

Veteran

Any chance you'll add gravatar support at some stage?

http://en.gravatar.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravatar
Administrator
Posted 2009-12-21 10:16 PM (#1738 - in reply to #1497)

Admin

We've looked at gravatar before but we don't have any plans to add it to the site. Not many people are bothering with avatars at present and our forum is off the shelf software that's a pain to modify and integrate into the rest of the site.

Mostly, it's a matter of time. Our list of updates is quite long as is and most of the planned upgrades are focused on the My World pages or on just adding more data like the series books. I've put it on the list for future consideration because I do like the features it offers but it's going to be low priority for the time being.

Thanks for the feedback!
Administrator
Posted 2010-01-06 10:12 PM (#1764 - in reply to #1738)
Subject: Dude, where's my avatar?

Admin

So, right after I finish saying "Gravatar is not a high priority" whargoul says "Hey, that's going to be easier than I thought and it will solve our disappearing avatar issue.  Let me put that in."  Poof!  Like a cheap magic trick, whargoul makes me look like an ass.... Ta-duh!  Thanks, buddy.   So...

We're making the switch to Gravatar everyone!  So far the My World page and the novel page have been updated but not the forum as yet so that's going to look a bit wonky for a day or so.

What this means to you:

- If you already have a Gravatar account you'll see your avatar on the site already.  Lovely.

- If you uploaded an avatar through the forum you've been switched to the default image and you'll have to sign up with Gravatar.com to add one back.  Bummer.

- Important: Gravatar keys off the email address you use when you set up your Gravatar account.  The email address in your WWEnd profile must match for it to work.

It's quick and relatively painless and will benefit you when you sign up elsewhere on the web in future so give it a go.

Thanks to htaccess for the suggestion and to all our members for their patience during the transition.  We really do try to listen to our members so if you have any questions post them here an I'll get you an answer.

Administrator
Posted 2010-01-07 9:06 PM (#1765 - in reply to #1764)

Admin

The avatars have been updated in the forum now. If you have any questions or encounter any problems please let me know here. Thanks.
Administrator
Posted 2010-01-09 3:11 PM (#1766 - in reply to #1765)

Admin

Gravatar has been added to the blog comments now as well. Thanks, whargoul.
htaccess
Posted 2010-03-08 7:56 PM (#1805 - in reply to #1766)

Veteran

Thanks, i just enabled it with the email i use for WWEnd.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)