open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "On the whole human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time." - George Orwell
- (Added by: Administrator)

Submitting New Books?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

starkiller
Posted 2010-04-27 12:25 AM (#1936)
Subject: Submitting New Books?

New User

Is there anyway to submit new books, Just doing some cursory browsing I can see a lot of holes in some of the authors I love, and some that I'm just looking to read. Would like to help out if I can
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-27 9:27 AM (#1938 - in reply to #1936)
Subject: RE: Submitting New Books?

Admin

@starkiller: First, welcome to WWEnd and thanks for the Big Honkin' Link on your site!  Very cool.

I'm glad you asked about submitting books to WWEnd.  This is one of the top items on our long list of improvements.  The more people ask about doing this the higher it gets on the list.  I'm glad there is interest from so many members.  We'll be working on this in the coming weeks.  The main issue is the "review and release" mechanism so we can maintain our current level of quality.

We're going to make it so that approved members can submit new books with a required minimum of information that will be reviewed by WWEnd Admin and our Uber Users.  If it passes mustard, I'll add the cover graphics and release it to the live site.  Initially we'll be restricting input content to the authors currently in our DB but we'll eventually add the ability to load new authors and publishers as well.

There will be some small requirements for members to become approved before they can submit books but we're still working those out now.  Something like a minimun time as a member or minumum number of forum posts etc.  Any thoughts on that?

I'll keep you guys posted on our progress here in this thread.  If you've got any questions or suggestions post them here as well.

hihik
Posted 2010-04-27 9:49 AM (#1940 - in reply to #1936)
Subject: Re: Submitting New Books?

Regular

@starkiller: great idea, for a while i thought that this site was going to have only award winning books, but if they change it to books of award winning authors then it'll be perfect

@Admin: quantitative requirements are not necessarily a good filter for productive users on forums, i'd suggest selecting UU (uber-users) solely at the discretion of website admins based on qualitative input rather than quantitative, a bit authoritative but you got a quality level to maintain ..
Administrator
Posted 2010-04-27 10:07 PM (#1952 - in reply to #1936)

Admin

@hihik: You make a good point. I just want to get people with some investment into the site. Folks who will care about the quality as much as we do and want to help us make it better. It will likely come down to just some simple invitations to get the ball rolling.
starkiller
Posted 2010-04-27 11:50 PM (#1954 - in reply to #1938)
Subject: RE: Submitting New Books?

New User

Administrator - 2010-04-27 10:27 AM

Therewill be some smallrequirements for members to become approved before they can submit books but we're still working those out now. Something like a minimun time as a member or minumum number of forum posts etc. Any thoughts on that?

Post count and a want to do it is how I would definitely do it. I haven't been active in a community for a while, This is me on Mobileread http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?s=19a4b397c87c4a103aa... Though I haven't been there in a while (Just edited my Sig to link here)

I just retooled my website from a dead forum and ebook website to a blog dedicated more to websites, software, and eventually books, book reviews just take a long time to write though, trying to post at least twice a day, and your website was what I was reading when I was thinking about ideas.

Used to be the Admin on a 2000+ member forum related to TV Scifi, But that's been dead for a while since my Co-admin and Owner "accidentally" corrupted the Mysql Database, than did it twice more over the next 6 months (and take 4 weeks before opening the site, a forum, to members again, later found out he is bipolar. We are still friends, but I'm not about to run a site with him again) until the website had less than 20 active members (down from over 400)

But anyway, I would love to help out around here a bit, at least by submitting a few books, you seem to be working pretty hard and you made a very nice site. I don't know how much I'm gonna post on the forums though. Ive recently come around to the "less is more" mantra when it comes to posting on forums, because I would be lying if I said I wasn't addicted to them a bit. I try and get out a bit more now .

If you don't have an interface to the book database that is secure for non Moderators yet.

Create a simple form that sends submitted information to an Email, and that way you can just copy and paste, that should only take 10 minutes to make. Though the best way to do it is to set up a form that can pull info from ISBNDB.com API, and can be edited by "super users" or maybe just members to submit for moderation, This would be the absolute best way to do it because it would make it super easy for you yourself to submit books in seconds instead of minutes.

The latter way is over my head so I don't know how long it would take(I haven't ever don't anything but hack some CSS and copy and paste some php, not to mention I'm months and years out of date as my interests drifted), but for somebody who can code should be able to do it pretty quickly.

Anyway, I'm gonna go take a bigger look around as I have only scratched the surface of this site so far.
Sir Rhosis
Posted 2010-05-17 1:38 PM (#2056 - in reply to #1936)

New User

Hey! Just joined today and love the site! I am building up my "read" lists and also noticed the gap of books in the lists right off (Piers Anthony - Apprentice Adept, Incarnations, Mode, Robert Silverberg - tons of missing stuff, just to name two examples).

I'd love to add some stuff or see it added, so put me in for a vote of a yes for this being a feature.
Administrator
Posted 2010-05-17 2:09 PM (#2058 - in reply to #2056)

Admin

Sir Rhosis - 2010-05-17 1:38 PM Hey! Just joined today and love the site! I am building up my "read" lists and also noticed the gap of books in the lists right off (Piers Anthony - Apprentice Adept, Incarnations, Mode, Robert Silverberg - tons of missing stuff, just to name two examples). I'd love to add some stuff or see it added, so put me in for a vote of a yes for this being a feature.

Welcome to WWEnd, Sir Rhosis!  You have been busy tagging books.  Very cool.

We're working on the member edit functions but it's been slow going lately.  Stupid real life getting in the way as usual.  We'll get it done eventually so hang tight.  Glad to have a new volunteer in waiting.

finny
Posted 2010-07-28 11:31 PM (#2146 - in reply to #1936)

New User

Add me to the list of people wanting more books to get listed. Without a more complete list of books, Booktrackr sapped my enthusiasm for the site. Maybe you can partner up with a bookseller website? Or WorldCat or Librarything?
Administrator
Posted 2010-07-29 8:11 AM (#2147 - in reply to #2146)

Admin

finny - 2010-07-28 11:31 PM Add me to the list of people wanting more books to get listed. Without a more complete list of books, Booktrackr sapped my enthusiasm for the site. Maybe you can partner up with a bookseller website? Or WorldCat or Librarything?

Still trying to find time to get the user interface up and running.  Unfortunately I can't evern guess when it will get done because I don't do the coding myself.  It's all volunteer labor around here.  One thing I've learned working on this site is patience but I'm still itching to deliver some of these cool features.

In the mean time, there is more to WWEnd than the BookTrackr so you might find something else of interest to keep you coming back.  We're always looking for more reviews and there is a ton of stuff in the Resources section.   We've also got 400+ author videos to watch etc.

Never really thought of Librarything or WorldCat but I doubt they'd want to give us any data.

daelectric
Posted 2010-10-27 9:50 AM (#2193 - in reply to #1936)

<p>By thew way I have some ideas that would make adding books to the list easier. I have done work with the Amazon API before and it should be fairly simple to just have a page that anyone can enter an ISBN into and have it automagically add the book with all the required info to the site. Of course you would still be able to implement the review process to filter out books that should not have been added. You got my email drop me a line if you want to discuss this in detail.</p><p>Hey Admin I just noticed we are both in the Dallas area.</p>

Edited by daelectric 2010-10-27 10:04 AM
Administrator
Posted 2010-10-27 11:32 AM (#2201 - in reply to #2193)

Admin

daelectric - 2010-10-27 9:50 AM

By thew way I have some ideas that would make adding books to the list easier. I have done work with the Amazon API before and it should be fairly simple to just have a page that anyone can enter an ISBN into and have it automagically add the book with all the required info to the site. Of course you would still be able to implement the review process to filter out books that should not have been added. You got my email drop me a line if you want to discuss this in detail.

Hey Admin I just noticed we are both in the Dallas area.

I am certainly interested in following up with you on this especially since you're local to me!  I have some concerns about automatically grabbing content.  We've been building the site in a very controlled manner and I want to maintain the same level of quality we've got now as well as keeping a handle on which books get added etc.

Let's get together to discuss if you're serious about jumping in.  I could certainly use the help!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)