open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "By day the banished sun circles the earth like a grieving mother with a lamp." - Cormac McCarthy (The Road)
- (Added by: Emil)

The Genre Game
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Emil
Posted 2012-07-18 1:46 PM (#3791 - in reply to #3789)
Subject: Re: The Genre Game

Uber User

The Falling Machine
https://www.worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=2989

Great fun and very good writing and storytelling. Fallible characters, and always present a sense of pending doom. Great sequel in Hearts of Smoke and Steam

Next: something with unreliable narrator
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Allie
Posted 2012-07-18 1:51 PM (#3792 - in reply to #3737)

Uber User

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

Next: One with an elderly protagonist?
Administrator
Posted 2012-07-18 2:15 PM (#3793 - in reply to #3790)

Admin

Scott Laz - 2012-07-18 1:43 PM Warlord of the Air by Michael Moorcock -- steampunk before it had a name... New Space Opera, anyone?

Looks like we skipped one!  Emil was answering for Steampunk at the same time as Scott Laz.  So for New Space Opera I'm going to cheat and say:

The New Space Opera

for Allie's Elderly Protagonist:

Rollback

This is a book I really enjoyed, perhaps more than most.  The 2 central characters are an aged couple who undergo a new treatment to rollback the clock so that they can be around when the aliens reply to the questions sent out decades before. The treatment works for the husband but not for the wife and they have to deal with an ever-widening gulf in their ages while they prepare for the alien response.  It's got some unique twists on First Contact that are pretty clever.  Speaking of...

Next up: First Contact

justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-07-19 5:44 AM (#3805 - in reply to #3737)

Uber User

Question for administrator - How does one highlight/create link the book titles?

Look to Windward by Iain M. Banks

How about post death experience?
Emil
Posted 2012-07-19 6:37 AM (#3808 - in reply to #3737)

Uber User

Cool one, @justifiedsinner. Immortality, Inc. - https://www.worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=296
Witty and sophisticated. At the time of penning my notes, I jokingly referred to the movie "Freejack." Little did I know at the time that it was indeed the inspiration to the flick. I'm a sucker for that movie.

Next: how about something with a female villain?
DrNefario
Posted 2012-07-19 3:45 PM (#3819 - in reply to #3737)

Uber User

The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge. I can't say I much liked this one either. Nice cover, though.

Next: really alien aliens.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-07-20 5:13 AM (#3825 - in reply to #3737)
Subject: RE: The Genre Game

Uber User

I suppose that Stanislaw Lem's Solaris is as alien as they come.

Next:  Surrealism!   

dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-20 12:20 PM (#3830 - in reply to #3737)

Elite Veteran

Yeah,sentient planets are definitely out of the norm.Surrealism? Not too sure what would be included,but Brian Aldiss' Barefoot in the Head was definitely weird as far as I am concerned! lol

next - overpopulation woes

Edited by dustydigger 2012-07-20 12:21 PM
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-07-20 2:12 PM (#3835 - in reply to #3737)

Uber User

Pohl & Kornbluth: The Space Merchants. I reread it recently and had forgotten about that aspect of it. People vacation in Antarctica to see a bit of open space...

This is a bit subjective, but name a good book (or story) that became a travesty of a film...
justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-07-20 3:06 PM (#3836 - in reply to #3737)

Uber User

The Soderberg Solaris as opposed to the Tarkovski Solaris.

SF written in the Victorian/Edwardian era.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-20 3:40 PM (#3840 - in reply to #3737)

Elite Veteran

I would have chosen Jules Verne,but since he was french,I have picked H G Wells,and his very influential,The Time Machine.Still a marvellous read to this day

next - alternate history.
DrNefario
Posted 2012-07-21 6:06 AM (#3842 - in reply to #3737)

Uber User

Voyage by Stephen Baxter. I really enjoyed this when I read it. It's an account of an alternate development of the US space programme, diverging from our reality in 1963, and I found it utterly gripping.

Nice to be able to add something I liked, this time.

Next: telepathy
justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-07-21 1:13 PM (#3843 - in reply to #3737)

Uber User

Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg

Female author, female heroine.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-21 2:50 PM (#3845 - in reply to #3737)

Elite Veteran

Elizabeth Moon's Heris Serrano series.

next - Dyson sphere
Administrator
Posted 2012-07-21 4:04 PM (#3846 - in reply to #3845)

Admin

Sun of Suns by Karl Schroeder

Sun of Suns

I read this one recently and it's really good.  Such wonderful imagination!  It's a steampunk world with free floating cities within a vast sphere that contains many man-made small suns powering it's different city states, battling airship armadas, jet engine bikes and goggles galore.  There is a hint of a much more technologically advanced universe outside the sphere that I hope will be expanded upon in the followup books which I have yet to read.

Question for administrator - How does one highlight/create link the book titles?

@justifiedsinner: You can only link from the full reply page not the quick reply box at the bottom of the thred.  Click the reply button on the last entry to get to it.  When you enter the book title highlight it then click the little chain-link icon in the tool menu.  That will bring up a box to enter the URL for the link.  I usually have 2 windows open so I can easily copy and paste the URL from one window into the message box in the other.  It also makes it easy to drag the cover image over from the search results page.  The cover image will come over with the page link intact.  Let me know if you have trouble.  I can show you over Skype or something if you like.

Next up:  Generation Ship

dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-22 3:50 AM (#3848 - in reply to #3737)

Elite Veteran

Heinlein's Orphans of the Sky was very influential.I came across this interesting article on the subject -
http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issue94/generation_ships.html

next - set in a sea world
scifigal84
Posted 2012-07-22 6:09 PM (#3850 - in reply to #3737)

I've got 4 books by David Weber, 4 of the Safehold Series (to be exact), and they look really good but won't be able to read them just yet. However, as much as I do love space opera, cyberpunk, hard SF and dystopian, I really want to get David Weber's Honor Harrington Series too (already on my ever-growing Amazon wishlist). I am quite intrigued by the military SF sub-genre. Anyone else know of any other military SF authors/books for me to peruse? I've already got Jack Campbell's - or John G. Hemry - The Lost Fleet series ordered. Thanks
Administrator
Posted 2012-07-22 11:26 PM (#3856 - in reply to #3850)

Admin

A Door into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski

A Door into Ocean

I've not read this one myself but my brother swears by it.  Of course he's a biologist as is the author so that may have something to do with it.  It's on my list.

Next up: Cthulhu mythos NOT by Lovecraft

scifigal84 - 2012-07-22 6:09 PM I've got 4 books by David Weber, 4 of the Safehold Series (to be exact), and they look really good but won't be able to read them just yet. However, as much as I do love space opera, cyberpunk, hard SF and dystopian, I really want to get David Weber's Honor Harrington Series too (already on my ever-growing Amazon wishlist). I am quite intrigued by the military SF sub-genre. Anyone else know of any other military SF authors/books for me to peruse? I've already got Jack Campbell's - or John G. Hemry - The Lost Fleet series ordered. Thanks

@scifigal84:  If you haven't seen it yet be sure to check out the Baen Reader's List of Recommended Military SF.  I got that list from the man himself, David Drake, though he didn't make it.  Check out the about link at the top of the list to get the story on how the list came about.  I will note that there is not a MIlitary SF award which I still find rather shocking.

Sounds like you've got a bunch of MilSF in the works already but I'll throw in there the Old Man's War series by John Scalzi.  Great fast reads with a lot of Scalzi's characteristic humor.

Emil
Posted 2012-07-23 1:49 AM (#3859 - in reply to #3856)

Uber User

@Dave, that's a particular book (and author) I've always wanted to read, but never did so. Seeing that she's just won the Campbell award, maybe it's time.

Of course, a Cthulhu mythos that's not Lovecraft, is certainly Gene Wolfe's An Evil Guest, a must underrated and misunderstood novel. It seems people just don't get it. But much like Wolfe's other works, it's best to approach it with the understanding that nothing is as it appears. And always keep alternative universes and time travel tropes in mind. And remember that twins and/or dobbelgangers also play their part in any Wolfe narrative. And there are always wolves. And for good measure, myths, or the reinvention of them, are what Wolfe loves most.

An Evil Guest by Gene Wolfe

An Evil Guest

(Glad that worked, that bit with getting the image and novel here. With only 6 revisions)

Next: good old western setting

Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-07-23 10:46 PM (#3862 - in reply to #3737)
Subject: RE: The Genre Game

Uber User

Territory by Emma Bull

Sun of Suns

Next, from hot to cold: an Arctic/polar setting

Scott Laz
Posted 2012-07-23 10:59 PM (#3863 - in reply to #3737)

Uber User

Icerigger by Alan Dean Foster.

Now to a jungle setting...
Emil
Posted 2012-07-24 3:40 AM (#3864 - in reply to #3863)

Uber User

@Engelbrecht, that looks a very interesting proposition! Thanks for that. I'm going to track it down.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-24 8:42 AM (#3865 - in reply to #3864)

Elite Veteran

++++A jungle setting.
Milton Lessor - Jungle in the Sky.Its apparently about big game hunters stalking alien big game on Ganymede! Sounds good old cheesy fun in the Armchair fiction series.Love the old covers!

next - an out of control robot
Administrator
Posted 2012-07-24 10:10 PM (#3871 - in reply to #3865)

Admin

Brass Man by Neal Asher

Brass Man

This is book 3 in Asher's Agent Cormac series.  I really like the first book, Gridlinked, which was just brimming with action. 

Next up:  Virtual Reality

dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-25 3:11 AM (#3876 - in reply to #3737)

Elite Veteran

Got to be Tad Williams Otherland series for me.There are some flaws but I thought the series was a great read.

next - we rarely touch on fantasy,so how about something with the Fae?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)