open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: We are time. We are this Space, this clearing opened by the traces of memory inside the connections between our Neurons. We are Memory. We are Nostalgia. We are Longing for a Future that will not Come. -- James Dator (Time and Future Studies)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Genres aplenty
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Ahaman
Posted 2012-11-07 5:24 PM (#4317)
Subject: Genres aplenty

New User

Hello all, new guy here so apologies if I asking an already answered question, but I noticed a slew of categories in the "Sub-genre" dropdown menu when you rate a book. Although I am guessing many are self explanatory, is there a resource describing/giving examples of what those genres entail?

Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2012-11-07 7:28 PM (#4318 - in reply to #4317)
Subject: RE: Genres aplenty

Admin

Ahaman - 2012-11-07 5:24 PM Hello all, new guy here so apologies if I asking an already answered question, but I noticed a slew of categories in the "Sub-genre" dropdown menu when you rate a book. Although I am guessing many are self explanatory, is there a resource describing/giving examples of what those genres entail? Thanks!

Hello Ahaman, and welcome to WWEnd!  Very happy you found us and decided to join.  Check out our Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Sub-Genres page to see how we define 'em 'round these parts.  You can find the link on the novel page too.  It's the label for the sub-genres selection section.  Look for the blue text.

Our subs are an attempt to create a useful list without getting too bogged down with all the possible variations on the themes they represent.  We built the list from many sources around the internet that we've tried to boil down to the essentials.  It's quite easy to get carried away breaking them into smaller and smaller classifications!  With the descriptions are links that will show you example books for each sub as they have been tagged by our members.

If you haven't see it yet, be sure to check out our BookTrackr page which talks a bit about the sub-genres and how we use them to group books together etc.  There are over 6,000 pages of content on the site so click any blue text you find to see what's behind the curtain and let me know if you have any questions or comments!  Lastly, take a minute to introduce yourself to the group.  We've got a great community of SF/F/H fans here that are ready to welcome you aboard!

dustydigger
Posted 2012-11-08 12:37 PM (#4319 - in reply to #4318)
Subject: Re: Genres aplenty

Elite Veteran

May I just comment on how useful this feature of WWEnds is to me? I have found lots of excellent books in lots of genres,and I have a friend who is new to SF,and showing her the vrariety of genres has made SF much less intimidating,and much more fascinating by being able to focus on areas that interest her,as a newbie to the genre? Thanks so much for this valuable resource!

Edited by dustydigger 2012-11-08 12:39 PM
Ahaman
Posted 2012-11-08 12:54 PM (#4320 - in reply to #4318)
Subject: RE: Genres aplenty

New User

Awesome, I will check out those links, thanks for the reply!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)